Newly elected Seguin City Councilman officially takes his seat; Councilman Lievens begins his first few days in office
Posted on 11/27/2017 8:16:00 AM.

(Seguin) -- There's officially a new member on the Seguin City Council. Seguin Mayor Don Keil recently administered the Oath of Office to newly elected council member Jim Lievens. Lievens hit the ground running, and immediately brought up a list of items, based on what he heard on the campaign trail.
Lievens says there are a number of items, including what could be done to get rid of a large pool of standing water near Hildalgo Street. Earlier this month, Lievens defeated Jeremiah Arevalo, Dennis Estes, and Jim Green to earn the right to fill the unexpired term of former Councilman Phil Seidenberger, who died just days before the election was held to find his replacement.
In other business, the council agreed to seek federal funding through the Alamo Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (AAMPO) for improvements to be made to Rudeloff Road. The AAMPO is currently seeking projects that would require funding during fiscal years 2019-2024. The city will nominate the project for potential funding during that time. If the grant is approved, 80 percent of the $11 million project would be covered by the AAMPO, while the city would have to pay for the remaining 20 percent.
The city of Seguin has been successful in recent years in securing funding through the AAMPO, including funds for projects along TOR Drive, for a sidewalk network near Park West, and for an extension of the Walnut Springs Hike/Bike Trail -- which would take the trail south of the Seguin Public Library and connect it all the way down to Max Starcke Park.

The council also approved an agreement that will allow library patrons to have an even greater connection to books and other digital resources. The library is entering into an interlocal agreement with several other cities, which will allow mutual access to the Bibliotheca CloudLibrary Digital Resources. Library Director Jackie Gross says this represents a good potential value for the city, and significantly expands the size of its collection.

Seguin City Council

Find more about Weather in Seguin, TX
Click for weather forecast

Provided by CBS News

Copyright 2014 Guadalupe Media, LTD. All Rights Reserved

This site powered by PromoSuite Interactive